Thursday, May 24, 2012

Investing in our Youth!

Well finals came and went and by the grace of God I finished out my Junior year of college!!!! Woohoo! I'm officially a Senior! On the last day of my classes I had a really interesting topic come up in one of my Communication classes.  It revolved around technology and our youth, which really got me thinking.  How much do we actually invest in our youth?  Sadly I think the answer is not what it should be.  How often do we actually try to connect with our youth kids these days, and not through Facebook or Twitter?  Not that often. 

I had the opportunity to speak with high school students at a local high school a few weeks ago and let me tell you how incredible it felt to connect with them.  Not via Ipad or cell phone, but to actually sit in front of them and talk one on one.  It made me realize the potential that kids these days have, and that all they need is a bit of guidance.  Everyone likes to complain about how our youth is corrupted and impolite, well yes I might agree with you in most cases, but are we doing anything to try to help that issue resolve itself?  Not really.  One of my biggest pet peeves is when a child is disrespectful.  You can only imagine my frustration considering a large part of the population does not understand the meaning of respect.  However after sitting down with these high school students, they rejuvenated my hope of a better tomorrow. 

One of the biggest areas that is lacking is parental support and discipline.  If the parent is not polite or respectful, how do you expect the child to be?  I do not understand how we have transitioned so much from the 50's and 60's where kids were terrified of their parents to now the parents are terrified of the kids.  Last time I checked, you were the parent, act like it.  It all starts at home and I think people have taken that lightly.  I commend my parents for never trying to be my friend, they were first and foremost my parents, then after years of respecting them, they became my friends. 

Our youth is the future for tomorrow and although people love to criticize and say it is bleak, we can actually contribute and change it.  If we invest in education and activities more, we will occupy their minds with good things as opposed to all the recent trash on the news.  Even if you have a good relationship with your child, maybe reach out to their friends and help build them up.  I know in my house, my friends needed to be as respectful as I was and if they were not, my parents had no problem putting them in their place to let them know it was unacceptable.  Parents need to not try to do their kids a favor by being their friend.  Do them justice and be a parent! Children will not understand the positive effects of discipline till they are my age, but let me put your mind to rest, they will realize it and thank you!

Have a great day and God Bless!!! :))

1 comment:

  1. I always love reading your perspective! You have been blessed with loving and caring parents. These days many kids are left to fend for themselves. Some of these kids do extremely well,others struggle, and others fail. On the other hand, we have some young people from very loving Christian homes who struggle and fail themselves. Life is all about choices no matter who you are or what advantages or lack of advantages you start with in life.

    ReplyDelete