Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Motivation and Leadership!

Today I got the opportunity to go back to high school. Thankfully it was only for an hour because I dont think I could handle it being any longer than that.  I am in a leadership class this semester and had the assignment to create a project that reached out to the community.  Luckily I am blessed with knowing a BUNCH of people in my community because when it came to decide the project for my group, I knew just who to call.  Our group decided it would be most beneficial to reach out to students, more specifically high school students.  I remember when I was in high school and preparing for college, I was beyond excited, but that was because I was living in a fantasy world that revolved around always listening to what was being said but never investigating it on my own.  Today I got to change that vicious cycle and actually contribute. 

Ever since I started this leadership class it has really expanded my knowledge of what it means to be a leader.  I always considered myself the leader type however over the last couple of months I have noticed that urge to lead become more strong.  It was really moving to talk to these high school students because I remember when I was in their shoes and was getting ready to face the world.  They were very interactive and responsive which  made the meeting that much more fun.  Today really made me realize that I would love to do that all the time.  I love talking to students and am beyond comfortable in front of a crowd. I know its hard to believe, for those that know me, that I like to talk but its true. (haha) 

How many times a day do our acitivities require a leader?  Whether it be at home or at work, at least 1 time through out the day you have to make a call and make a decision that has to do with leadership.  Do you respond with disgust or anger, or do you realize that this is your chance to make a difference today.  I have really been thinking differently lately and with that comes conviction of what i'm doing with my life.  I know my goals and I know i'm accomplishing them but are all my actions leadership like? Probably not.  In fact I can think of countless things that are very unleaderish that I do.  However today really hit me that I need to make this an everyday thing. 

My friends always like to make fun of me that i'm normally the mom of the group and I consider that a leadership quality.  I want to encourage you all to be a leader.  We have too many people in the world just following the group and being a part of the crowd.  Stand up and stand out! Make wise decisions and take others into consideration before you act.  Have a great day and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment